Tuesday, May 15, 2012

CAPRICIOUS CABBIES AND ARBITRARY OVERCHARGING


Letter:
I am a resident of 5th Mile Tadong. Being an office worker, I need to commute daily by taxi, be it the Titanic Stand or the Lall market Stand. Today, (11/5/12) as I had to do a little vegetable shopping at the Lall market and after I finished, I was trying to take a taxi from the Lall market stand. I and many others were standing there for almost an hour and there were no taxis to take us to 5th mile or the 6th mile. All the taxi drivers were saying they would only take the people who were going to Ranipool and were charging a full Rs.40 to passengers who were going just till Metro or 5th mile or even 6th mile. One of the drivers refused to take me to 5th mile even though he was going till 6th mile and his exact words when I asked why, were “Mero gaadi ho, ra Mero marzi”. These things are happening right under the nose the police out post at Lall bazaar. I could only hail a taxi after I complained to the in-charge at the police out post, I am sure the police department is not aware of the monopoly of the Taxi drivers in the town.
Taking a taxi from the Titanic Stand has also become very difficult when the road carpeting work is going on. Taxi fare is automatically hiked by an extra Rs 10 when the police divert taxis from the Arithang Route. 
I wonder if this e-mail is going to be of any concern to the police or not but I would certainly want the department to take some action for the benefit of the public.
Ann Pradhan, 5th Mile, Tadong [recvd on email]


1 comment:

  1. Post it on the police website and the face book site and see if they take any stand! It is indeed difficult to find taxis to go where you want to especially during the tourist seasons. The police has to intervene and regulate this mess so that the aam janta does not suffer, hopefully the reaction of the police will not be like that of the GMC, whose officers instead of taking positive proactive stance alwyas blames the janta for the mess every where

    ReplyDelete

Readers are invited to comment on, criticise, run down, even appreciate if they like something in this blog. Comments carrying abusive/ indecorous language and personal attacks, except when against the people working on this blog, will be deleted. It will be exciting for all to enjoy some earnest debates on this blog...